Re: Faultless MGB-GT

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Faultless MGB-GT
From: "Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@ocotillofield.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:15:22 -0800
On Nov 19, 2005, at 7:38 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> If reliability is the prime consideration then put her in a Honda.
> MGBs are
> for people who appreciate the involving driving experience of a
> classic more
> than the blandness and characterlessness of modern cars, and expect
> that now
> and again the old lady may embarrass herself.

Paul, everything you said up to this point made a lot of sense, and I
basically agree with it from a certain point of view.

This last paragraph bothers me. First of all, why would I buy her a
Honda (sure to be stolen) when she has a perfectly adequate Jetta, as I
said?

I simply don't agree with the "MGBs are for people who ...." IMHO, MGBs
are for anyone who appreciates one or another aspect of their design,
engineering, ride,  or just real spoked wheels. You appreciate the
whole package, and you are willing to do what it takes to enjoy the
whole package. That makes you the ideal MGB owner, but not the only
kind who either can or should be permitted to enjoy an MG as a daily
driver.

If I had written a message saying that my wife wanted to race an MGB,
and made a list of improvements suitable to racing, would you have
demurred in the way you did?

I don't want to start a flame war about this, but I also don't want the
seeming rigidity of your view, admirable as it is in most respects, to
go unremarked.

Mark