Clutch Tear Down

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Tear Down
From: Daybell7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:52:54 EST
MG Listers,

I shot the TV and spent seven hours freeing the motor and trans in my 1972
MGB.  All I have left is the motor mounts.  I removed the exhaust  manifold,
carbs, and alternator.  The tranny mounts were gummy.  Questions:

1.  Do I have to take the jack stands down to remove the motor and  trans?
2.  At what weight should I set the hoist?  (one or two  tons)  Should I
attach a chain to the hook?
3.  Is the Oberg tilt lift a requirement?  Does it attach to the  hook?
4.  The motor is caked with oil, especially the front.  Is the  gasket I need
the timing chain gasket?
5.  The only strange thing I encountered is I couldn't free the  fanbelt.  It
is wedged between the pullys and steering rack.

Thanks, Kelvin, for the step-by-step procedures.

Steve Hughes
Gainesville, FL