Re: Engine running too cold

To: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine running too cold
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:31:47 -0000
Sounds like something wrong there, particularly as 190F was the stat for
'cold' climates but only until 64 after that it was 180F.  My 73 roadster
runs at about half the width of the N different from summer in the 80s to
winter near or at freezing, the V8 about an N's width (and that has been
used regularly in temps well below freezing), and I don't use anything to
block the air in either car.  Also both with 'standard' stats (165F and
180F) as far as I know.  I'd also say that the heater should be putting out
*something* when halfway between L and N.  Is the radiator warm or cool when
registering that?  It should be cold as the stat shouldn't open until the
needle gets almost up to the N.  When warming up from cold the rad should
stay cool as the engine warms, then suddenly get hot as the stat opens.
Does the temp rise closer to N if left fast-idling in cold temps?  With the
rad completely covered the temp gauge should get significantly above N in
anything other than freezing temps.

There are lots of reasons why the heater could be putting out low heat, the
biggest of which is probably the fresh air flap the control for which is in
the LH footwell by an LHD drivers right knee being open.  But that is just
one of nine or so possibles, listed at
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_heaterframe.htm.  If it weren't for the large
variation in temp gauge readings I'd wonder if it were you just 'feeling the
cold', as they say.  Have you tried taking independent coolant temps at N
and mid-way between L and N?

PaulH.