Re: SU fuel pump life and stalling engine

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU fuel pump life and stalling engine
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:56:10 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:53:39 -0500
> From: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
> Subject: SU fuel pump life and stalling engine
>
> One side of me thinks that it could be time to replace the points
> dizzy cap as it's been at least a year.

It is not expensive to replace the distributor cap, rotor & points so
that'd be a good place to start.

I also wonder whether the coil is going bad. Usually they just quit
altogether but a failing coil will sometimes reveal itself with poor
performance when hot (after your engine has warmed up). A weak coil
will have difficulty making a spark at low revs (i.e. just off idle)
because spark advance is less at that point (so it's trying to get a
spark across the gap when cylinder pressure is high). As rev's
increase, the spark timing is advanced to where cylinder pressure is
less (easier to jump the spark gap). As rev's continue to increase, a
weak coil can't keep up with the pace and the engine will again
sputter.

I doubt the problem is with the fuel pump. If the pump is iffy but
still able to fill the float bowls, the car will start & accelerate OK
but then 'run out of gas' as speeds increase (if the pump cannot keep
up with demand).

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell