Re: SU fuel pump life and stalling engine

To: wkilleffer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: SU fuel pump life and stalling engine
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:47:51 -0500
Bill,
   I think it unlikely that the fuel pump is at fault here.  The pump
pumps in response to lack of resisitance/pressure in the fuel line to the
float bowl. At idle, there is very little fuel being consumed by the
engine, so even if the pump were weak it would provide plenty of fuel to
the float bowl.  At higher revs, when consumption is greater, a weak pump
would deliver insufficient fuel and engine sputtering would develop.
don't drive this car much, some corrosion or oxidation has formed on the
contacts. Pull a piece of very fine sandpaper, 400 or 500, between the
points gently,  check dwell and reset if needed, then reset the timing.
Another possibility is that the plastic rubbing surface on new points
sometimes wears quickly on the distributor cam lobes, thus closing the
gap in very few miles.  Shouldn't happen, perhaps, but it can and does.
Do the points cleaning, dwell checking and timing exercise for this also.

   This sort of low-speed stumbling is more likely to be electrical than
fuel-related.  You're probably ten minutes away from having the problem
solved, which will start your new year off happily.
Bob