Re: Replacement of Brake Light Switch

To: Saabnutty@aol.com
Subject: Re: Replacement of Brake Light Switch
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:49:41 -0800
On 1/20/06, Saabnutty@aol.com <Saabnutty@aol.com> wrote:
> I agree.  I think you would want a white cluster of LED's to replace a clear
> brake light bulb.

Why?

The red cover filters out light -- it turns white light into red light
by removing all other colors. Why do you want to have a system that
wastes lumens like this?

Secondly, the red LEDs are probably more efficient than white LEDs --
another reason you don't want a white LED and a red filter. It's much
simpler to just have a red LED -- and as Paul Hunt pointed out a white
cover over a red LED is probably the most effective (since a red cover
won't match the color of the red LEDs exactly). Although, I think you
would want the cover to be translucent, not transparent, to spread the
light.

Regards,
Simon