RE: Brake Master rebuild

To: "Jason Spaeth" <jasonspaeth@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Master rebuild
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:09:51 -0500
Jason,
If you have a single master cylinder, there is a circlip which holds the rod
in.  There is nothing else to hold the piston in place.  I've found that
even a little corrosion on the cylinder wall will keep the piston from
coming out.  Push the piston in and take a little steel wool and brake fluid
and gently clean up the cylinder wall between the end of the bore and where
the piston is sticking.  Don't use any rough sandpaper or you'll scratch the
bore enough to cause a fluid leak.  If you have the dual master cylinder,
there is another circlip which retains the piston in place.  The manual
calls for a special tool #18G1112 to remove the circlip.  I've never had one
of these types apart, but I would think you could get by with a long set of
needle nose pliers or an angled pick if there is no tab to grab with the
pliers.
Pete