Too much oil?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Too much oil?
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:26:28 -0500
So Saturday I got the MG out of hibernation.

Popped the hood/bonnet.
Pulled the coil wire
fuel pump pumped for 30 seconds
cranked for oil pressure - less than 30 seconds
replaced the wire.
Started it right up.
Very cool.
pulled it out onto the driveway and let it idle
up to operating temp. Meanwhile, cleaned up the
garage a bit.
put it away. :-)

That was all I had time for.

Anyway. I did check the oil level. And it was
about 1/4-3/8 inch above the Max line! And I
know I was right on, or a bit under when I put
it away.

The oil doesn't seem thin. There's definitely no
water/anti-freeze in it.

What could this be? Is it gas? Or is it just
long term storage giving the oil time to leak
way down? Or is it me over filling it and not
allowing enough leakdown time for the 20W-50
when I changed it in the fall?

After the warm up. I checked again, it's
still high.

I'll be changing the oil before taking it out
on the road, of course, but this is curious?

Best be off to NAPA a for Gold filter and
some Valvoline.

    _______     Paul T. Root
   /     __\  1977 MGB
   \_______/