Re: Trouble with www.mgcars.org ?

To: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Trouble with www.mgcars.org ?
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:19:21 -0500
On Apr 3, 2006, at 10:28 AM, David Breneman wrote:

> --- Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca> wrote:
>> I use Netscape 7.2.  I find IE awful.   I never use MS software if
>> I can
>> help it.  Practically all my applications are non-MS and I get less
>> trouble that way

I use Camino, Safari, Firefox, Seamonkey and Mozilla on various
machines. Seamonkey is the next release of Mozilla. Works pretty
well when I have to use a Windows box. I need to upgrade my wife's
computer to Seamonkey from Mozilla (it's basically Mozilla 2.0,
don't know why they renamed it. Just to confuse us no doubt).

> I'm with you.  However, I know from working in the industry that
> many web designers assume that most people will be using Explorer,
> and so they validate to that and nothing else.  Of course, that's
> a preposterous assumption to make since Microsoft is in the
> "embrace and extend" standards-busting business, but it's amazing
> how many lemmings follow them off the cliff

It's worse than that. Designer's are pushed into using Microsoft
Web design programs which goes out of it's way to try to make things
work only for Microsoft.

Personally, I use any text editor (Subetha Edit, vi, emacs, etc) and
hand edit my Webpages. Of course, I don't do too much in terms of
complicated stuff, and so like the better control of writing in html
instead of fighting a GUI to do what I want.

I ran into a problem with a permission form online a month or so ago.
I was bringing up my son's BSA Troop's web page, and copied the
permission form I had for the Pack, and edited as needed. This
form was originally a Word doc, that I had Word create as a
web page. My editing busted something, and so while all of the
above browsers worked, IE put out garbage. It was completely legal
standard HTML, but IE barfed.

Ok, sorry about not having content here. I do have a question,
as I got my MG out on Saturday after hibernation. But, that's
another email...

Paul Root
ptroot@iaces.com