Re: MGCGT

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGCGT
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:44:27 -0700
La Carra makes traditional wood-rimmed wheels in several diameters. I recall
helping a Midget owner specify a 14" model (for similar reasons).

The 1969 steering wheel hub has an unusual spline, however. You need to make
sure that the hub provided specifically fits 69 MGs. This may be hard to
track down.

Removing the steering wheel is straightforward in concept but often
troublesome in execution. You remove the horn button, retrieve any loose
parts (springs, etc.), and undo the large nut. Did I mention disconnecting
the battery first? The problem is that the wheel is usually quite unwilling
to budge, and it is difficult to apply any significant pulling force to the
stock "banjo" wheel. (without breaking it, that is)

The usual method is to put the nut back on loosely, to protect the threads
(and your face -- see below), sit in the drivers seat and brace the wheel
with your knees, exerting an upward force, then rap the hub nut (and end of
shaft) sharply with a heavy hammer. If the wheel pops loose, it may do so
abruptly, hence the precaution of leaving the nut on the end of the shaft.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149