Re: my new daily driver

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: my new daily driver
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:03:22 -0700
My point about flat fours is that they require twice as many head gaskets,
cams, rocker shafts, and intake and exhaust manifolds, as an inline four of
the same configuration (OHV, DOHC, etc). When you are talking about 8 or 12
cylinders that would otherwise be in a V, there is no difference, but in a
small engine like a four that is a lot of complexity (and cost) to add with
no corresponding improvement in operational efficiency. A flat six might be
on the borderline, but there is no obvious benefit compared to a V6 unless
an extremely low CG is the overriding consideration (or you have to stuff it
in the back of a 911-derivative -- I would call this a matter of
evolutionary contingency, not of design per se).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149