re: Head re-torque

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Head re-torque
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 12:10:14 -0400
> From: "Gordie's Garage"

> I figure it's time to re-torque the head.

> So, whattaya think, slowly loosen all of them in reverse order, then
> re-torque, or just re-torque, or...?

Since the nuts are already tight, it'll take a certain amount of force just to
get them moving (sorta like interia). If you are tightening them to a higher
value then I would say go ahead and re-torque to the new value.

To re-torque to the same value loosen one at a time and then re-torque. For a
recently assembled engine (and you oiled the threads on assembly) loosen it a
1/4 turn, re-torque then move to the next nut. For an engine that was not
recently assembled, *remove* one nut at a time, clean and oil the threads (on
the engine - not the email) and then re-torque.

Note - do not use your torque wrench to loosen nuts.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC