Re: Hi torque starters

To: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hi torque starters
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:06:23 +0100
Normally referred to as geared starters, I think, as that is the significant
mechanical difference.  I had an early one for a while and it certainly had
its problems.  They consist of a standard motor and solenoid unit and an
adapter plate which enables them to be fitted to a particular engine.  On
the one I had this plate was fixed to the motor assembly with three
self-tapping screws!  Needless to say after a couple of days they came free,
at which point I reverted to a standard unit.

However while it was on the smoothness and relative silence of the motor was
amazing, the first time I cranked it I just heard a hum and thought it
wasn't even engaging with the flywheel, when the engine fired up!  These
really are the Holy Grail of starter motors, as well as being quieter and
smoother they turn the engine over faster and take less current.  This last
feature means that the battery voltage doesn't drop as much, so they should
last longer, doesn't need as much recharging after starting, and makes
starting easier.  The only downside is that they cost about 50% more.

If you have the rubber bumper car try and get one with the additional
solenoid contact for the coil boost connection, not all of these geared
starters have them even though it might be specified for rubber bumper cars.
It is possible to replicate this function with a relay or even a diode, and
with the easier starting it probably isn't as necessary anyway, but I'd
still want to retain the feature.

PaulH.