Re: MGTF Master cylinder fill level

To: "Charley Robinson" <charleyrob@charter.net>
Subject: Re: MGTF Master cylinder fill level
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:40:53 -0500
At 02:42 PM 6/6/06, Charley Robinson wrote:
>.... The fluid level in the master cylinder appeared low so I
>checked the workshop manual for fill level and it says that you
>should not fill it more than to within 1/2" of the bottom of the
>filler neck. The manual suggests that overfilling will result in
>brake fluid leakage which I seem to be having. When I pulled the
>filler plug, I found instructions on top of the plug that say you
>should fill to the bottom of the filler neck. Any suggestions on
>which is correct?

If the filler neck extends downward inside the reservoir with slots
in the sides of the neck, then you can fill to touch the bottom of
the neck, as the neck is gaging the fill level with allowed air space
in the top and the slots are providing vent space.

If there is no downward extension of the filler neck inside the
reservoir (or no vent slots), then leave the 1/2" of air space at the top.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com