Hi Torque Starter follow-up

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hi Torque Starter follow-up
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:35:56 -0600
I received the high torque starter today.  Installation is fairly
straightforward, but there are some things one should know.  First - if
you don't already know this - you must remove your hanging oil filter to
remove the old style bendix starter.  The starter is too long to get out
with a hanging filter still in place.  Those of you with the inverted
filter (spin on or hanging ) - I hate you for this.  Just kidding.
Think about your oil draining out and why they were hanging to start
with - but that is another topic.  It is easiest to bring the starter up
out of the engine compartment where the oil filter was before you
removed it - and I don't even think it could come out from below.  The
starter bolts in easily if the car is on ramps.  The bolts that held the
bendix/inertia type starter in place work with these too.  The wiring is
very simple and you can retain your external solenoid if you want to
(instructions on the website, it's making one wire with a connector on
each end - easy).  On my '67 MGB (and I'd assume on all early B's, but I
don't know about later or other british car models) - there is a little
bit of body interference.  It could be pounded out easily IF I knew
about it before I installed the starter.  For now I'll take a rattle
(I'm assuming - haven't driven the car yet - it's only been on 10
minutes).  I've started the car about 4 times - it starts up easily.  If
I have problems down the road, I'll let the list know.

Phil Bates
'67 mgb now with a high torque starter