RE: Late B fan thermostat and temp

To: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Late B fan thermostat and temp
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:43:32 -0700
Gene:

Hand held infra red thermometers are now very reasonably priced (Moss is
selling them for $64.95 or they are available from many other sources)

Taking accurate measurements of the cooling system takes all the guess
work out of the job.

You can check for air locks, thermostat operation, thermal switch
operation and radiator efficiency very quickly and easily.

I've used one of these units for a few years now (they were a lot more
expensive then) and it's come in very handy especially during new engine
start ups.

You can never have too many tools.

The late MGB is way overcooled, so the thermostatic fans should only
come on during stop and go traffic.  In many areas the twin fans may be
too efficient which will cause them to cycle on and off repeatedly.  The
correct pressure cap for the system is 15lbs, which means the cooling
system can run safely at a higher temperature than any of the earlier
systems.  With a 180 degree thermostat the system should be stabilizing
somewhere in the 190-195 range.

Kelvin.