Midget tire help

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midget tire help
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:19:09 -0700
A friend of mine was asking for help getting new tires for her bone-stock 67
Midget. It has 165R13s on 13 x 4 wire wheels. She lives in the wilds of
Greenwich Village (far from the suburban world of Pep Boys and Walmart), and
she is having a hard time finding that size, or even 165/70R13, which seemed
like a logical substitution.

Two shops wanted her to go to 175/70R13, but that seems to me to be far too
wide for a 4" rim (the chart I found recommended 5" minimum for this size).
Even with an appropriate wider rim, would a 175 cause interference at acute
steering angles? I'm thinking the OEM fitment was probably 5.60-13, and
that's a big jump, especially relative to the overall width of the car.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149