Re: front license plate

To: mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: front license plate
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:41:58 -0400
Dave,
   The front licence plate certainly is not improving the situation.  I
would remove the thing.
   The flow of air can be affected by a number of things.  Your library
might have books such as CJ Marchaj, Aerodynamics of Sail, or Manfred
Curry's texts, and newer studies on the subject.  These two cited works
have numerous illustrations of air flow being disturbed by objects, some
of which are surprisingly small.  For instance, a vibrating shroud (wire)
has an effective diameter about ten times its actual diameter, and the
disturbed air continues to be disturbed for a length about ten times the
effective diameter.
   That paragraph is a windy way of confirming that the cleaner the
airflow the better the cooling in the radiator.
   Can you fit the later model plastic fan?  It's said to pull more air
and consume less power than the metal blade fans.
Bob