Re: Front suspension fun (part 2)

To: "RD Williford" <dan_mgs@verizonmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front suspension fun (part 2)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:42:22 +0100
A damper that does not damp ... is not a damper.  It should definitely
exhibit considerable resistance in both directions with no floppy region
when changing from one direction to the other or in the middle of its
travel.  If the fluid has been lost it is probably the seals that have gone,
adding more will probably just run out, and running them with insufficient
fluid to give damping knackers them anyway.  You should be using hydraulic
fluid, like 'light hydraulic jack fluid'.  Some recommend motorcycle fork
oil which is supposed to contain a seal swelling agent which is supposed to
resist leakage.  I've never bothered, and in my experience rebuilt units
either start leaking quite soon after fitting, or gone on for many tens of
thousands of miles.  Even new ones can fail prematurely, and rebuilt ones
are a fraction of the cost and so apart from the hassle of changing them
(which is much easier the second time around) having a premature failure of
a rebuilt unit is cost-effective.  You should be able to drive the head end
of the pivot pin out of the arm with a large drift above and a suitably
sized spacer or old socket underneath.

PaulH.