Re: Front suspension fun (part 2)

To: dan_mgs@verizonmail.com
Subject: Re: Front suspension fun (part 2)
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 08:53:20 -0400
Dan,
  Yes, there should be resistance to movement of the damper arm.  That's
the "damping" action that they are supposed to provide.   While it might
possibly be that the unrestricted movement is due to absence of fluid in
the damper and that filling with fluid would make the damper work
properly, it's likely that there is internal damage if there is no fluid
to provide lubrication for the moving parts.
   The July/August issue of MGB Driver has a four page article about the
lever dampers, by Mark Childers, Tidewater MG Club. Among other topics,
he writes of his preferred fluids and how to purge air.
Bob