Re: Glovebox key from code (UK)

To: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Glovebox key from code (UK)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:35:31 +0100
I didn't say anything about the ignition key, as you say for cars with a
steering column lock the key is much larger and completely separate. I've
never heard of lock sets including the ignition switch, of either type, only
a 2-lock set just for the doors, or a 3-lock set for the doors plus
boot/hatch, not even a 4-lock set which would be doors plus boot/hatch plus
glovebox.  For earlier cars with the dash ignition switch the key *may* have
been the same number or not I don't know, it certainly looks to be the same
*style* as for the doors etc.  AFAIK the door/boot/hatch key sizes didn't
change throughout production and the steering lock type ignition key was
never used to open the doors.  On my 73 and 75 the doors, boot/hatch and
glovebox keys are all the same physical size and originally one key fitted
them all.  This ties up with both your and my certificates giving one number
for the steering lock and only one other 'Key Number' (mine showing an FS
prefix) which would have been for everything else.  If your boot key fits
but won't open the glovebox lock, then I don't see how a key that opens the
glovebox is going to open the boot, the boot lock has probably been changed.
If you have different sized keys/locks for the doors and boot then your PO
got some odd locks from somewhere, they should all be the same size and one
key should fit all of them.  If the longitudinal slots in the keys are
different (i.e. possibly an FP rather than an FS) then you may not get some
keys in some of the locks, let alone turn them, even though the keys are the
same physical size overall.

PaulH.