Re: Steering rack

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Steering rack
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:20:45 +0100
No matter where the oil is added it will gravitate to the gaiters as this is
the lowest point.  When you turn from lock to lock the compressed gaiter
will be trying to pump oil to the other end, and there is a limit to the
speed with which it can do this.  Get too much in the gaiter, from any
add-point, and it will tend to bulge and could burst or push the big end off
the rack housing.  The whole point of disconnecting a gaiter (if not both)
and draining it first and then adding a *measured* amount is to avoid this.

PaulH.