Re: General question

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>,
Subject: Re: General question
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:16:21 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu> wrote:  Any purists reading this might
want to hit the delete button now.

For the rest of you, has anyone on the list discussed or know of a
conversion of an MGB to either an electric car or to a diesel so it
can run on vegetable oil?
There was an interesting article in the NYTimes yesterday about a
vegetable oil conversion diesel Volkswagon and I got to
thinking.  Take out the heavy engine (replace it with heavy
batteries???? :)  ) and my 76 B would weight ~1700-1800 lbs.  I would
think that would be in the ballpark for an electric conversion.

Or replace with a diesel and one of the conversion kits mentioned in
the article.
Why? I could see doing this if it was a daily driver, but.....

  I would never consider electric. First off, the batteries would weigh a  TON,
way more than the 500 or 600 pounds that the engine and  transmission weigh.
And that would take away the whole character of the  car. And I have a problem
with electric cars anyways, being that while  they are touted as being
environmentally-friendly, the rpower to  recharge them has to come from a
(coal-fired?) plan somewhere.

  OTOH, diesel would be kinda cool, and you could probably find a diesel
engine that would fit. You'd still have the torquey nature of the B and  it
probably wouldn't be too much louder than a B with typical noisy  lifters!

Dan D
The Garden State
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - "On the Road Again....!"
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328