Re: Dual carb conversion question -- correct fuel hookup?

To: "Keith G." <k2@gernertzone.com>
Subject: Re: Dual carb conversion question -- correct fuel hookup?
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:16:04 -0700
On Jul 31, 2006, at 4:52 AM, Keith G. wrote:

> I'm close to wrapping up my dual HIF carb conversion on my '79 B, and
> am now at the point of hooking up the fuel line.  I'm a little
> confused as to how it all connects.
>
> From the vantage point of the right side of the engine bay, there are
> two tubes protruding from the left side of the front carb, and just
> one such tube on the right side of the rear one.  From what I can
> glean from the Haynes manual's section on HIFs, the lower of the two
> tubes on the front carb is the fuel inlet.

Keith, it sounds like you have things right, compare with my initial
HIF set here:
http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/SU/Large/IMAGE022.JPG

If you are getting fuel flowing out your rear vent, I would suspect
your rear float is bad, or the float needle is not closing properly.
I rebuilt mine only to discover the rear float had a hole in it and
would sink after a few minutes of operation.

Also, make sure your pump is not over-pressurizing, apparently the SU
might not be able to stop more than 4-5 psi (unconfirmed, but this
came from my mechanic).  If you don't have an original SU fuel pump,
you might consider a pressure regulator--but checks the float first.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
  '75 B (red for now), HIF4 carbs