Re: Distributor/Ignition Question

To: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distributor/Ignition Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:43:02 +0100
A nice idea, but you would probably need most of the 16 variations to cover
the different engines, even more if you wanted to take into account
different fuels people might have access to.  Not much point in going to all
that trouble if you slug the beast assuming the lowest octane when higher
octane is available.  Knock-sensing retard is the way to go, one system for
all engines and all fuels.  I'm determined to get there one day.  I've just
fitted a TCSA solenoid to my roadster so I can manually switch off the
vacuum advance when pinking starts - which does work on part-throttle
pinking.  Next step is to fit a knock sensor to control the solenoid (still
on/off), then the more complex step of using the knock sensor to control a
continuously variable stepper motor in place of the vacuum capsule.  Don't
hold your breath, it's going to be a long haul.

PaulH.