RE: I need to use/borrow a good bore guage]

To: "Larry Colen" <lrc@red4est.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I need to use/borrow a good bore guage]
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:53:10 -0400
Larry,
The best way to check the clearance is with plastigage.  It is a thin piece
of plastic that goes on the journal before you put the cap on.  After
installing the cap and torquing to proper specs, the cap is taken off and
the plastic is measured against a scale that comes with the gage.  Available
at most auto stores.  I'm not an expert on engine tolerances, but I'd be
concerned about using a tolerance tighter than the spec.  The tolerance is
not just to make room for oil, it also allows proper clearance after the
disimilar metals expand under heat.  Too tight a tollerance may cause the
two metals to overheat causing instant meltdown of the crank.  Personally I
would shoot for the minimun tolerance, not less.
Pete