RE: What kind of top do you recommend?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What kind of top do you recommend?
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:28:54 -0600
I think Jeff explained it pretty well. It used to be that the material didn't
matter much in terms of durability as the plastic window tended to turn
yellowish and crack with age. As a long time user of tops, I found that the
plastic windows would lose clarity and start splitting in about five years.
Very seldom would the vinyl itself have problems before the windows although I
did have one top on my Landcruiser where the material split while the rear
window was still fairly clear because it was a lighter, thinner vinyl. I think
the window material has improved though in the past decade because the tops on
both my Landcruiser and my MGB are well over five years old (the Landcruiser
top is ten years old) and the plastic on both are still very clear. Granted I
have learned proper care to avoid any scratching marks on the window surface
but they still show no yellow weathering at all.

Fit however may still be something to consider. The top on my 72B was
installed from the previous owner and it looks like the width was not correct,
maybe an inch to short. It is exactly where it should be on the driver's side
but is short on the passenger side, leaving a small gap above the window. I
have tried to stretch it but it still seems like it was not right (it may be
the frame however and I do have a spare one if I get around to trying it).
Tops typically ship without the header frame so you have to attach/glue the
top to it just right so the top stretches over the car, yet makes it fairly
easy to attach the header to the car. That part is just perfect on my 72B
which allows me to raise and lower it in less than a minute.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
74 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40