Re: Gauges not working

To: "Marc Hamel" <mmgro@renc.igs.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gauges not working
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:28:34 +0100
Ballast resistor?  There is a ballast resistor (sometimes two) in rubber
bumper ignition but not for the gauges on any MGB.  Perhaps you mean the
voltage stabiliser?  This should have 12v on the green wire connected to the
B (Battery) terminal when the ignition is on, and 12v switching on and off
at the I (Instruments) terminal once the ignition has been on for two or
three seconds, steady 12v before that.  A light-green/green wire goes from
here to both the fuel and (electric) temp gauges.  From the gauges there is
a green/blue to the temp sender on the head, and a green/black to the tank
sender.  The stabiliser must be properly grounded through its mounting screw
or the gauges will read *high*.  If the gauges are still not working you can
check the continuity of the gauge and the wiring to the sender by looking
for the 12v switching on and off  at the terminal on the sender.

PaulH.