Engine removal - front mounts

To: "Mgs-Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine removal - front mounts
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:03:19 -0400
I have another question about removing the engine (1980).  Do you unbolt the
front mounts from the frame or can you leave the mounts bolted to the frame
and unbolt them from the engine?

The latter appears to be easier, especially on the left side where the bolt
which holds the mount to the frame is blocked by the steering column.  I am
suspecting that leaving the mounts bolted the frame does not work because I
have unbolted all four of the bolts which hold the mounts to the motor and
my hoist does not move it.  (Yes, I have removed the starter.)

I would appreciate any hints or suggestions for short cuts.

Thanks,
Peter Schauss
1980 MGB