Re: Information

To: mvrose@charter.net
Subject: Re: Information
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:17:55 -0500
Merl,
   Did the engine develop pressure last summer, or is this first time you
have tried since rebuilding it?
   If engine was running in April, and pressure was OK then, than given
enough time it will probably pump up pressure w/o doing anything,  but
grinding the starter isn't good practice.
   There are a couple of things you can try that may help.
        remove the sparkplugs, so engine cranks faster, and
        disconnect oil line to gauge then pump warm oil into the line
back toward the engine.
        Turn engine backward, if you have 1 5/16 wrench to fit the crank
pulley. This tends to suck oil into the pump.
    Wrap a rag over the oil pressure line and crank again.
    When pressure comes up it will come fast, hence the rag, and then you
can reconnect the line.
    If this is the very first time since engine rebuild and it is not
making pressure, you may have to review the assembly procedure and gasket
positioning on the oil pump.
Bob