Re: [MGS] Connecting a Trickle Charger

To: "David Breneman" <david_breneman@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] Connecting a Trickle Charger
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:51:03 +0100
>From memory I'd say it was unusual for the light *not* to come on at a
normal idle of say 600 rpm, and especially with a significant load on the
system.  The main USP of the alternator is that it will charge at idle
whereas the dynamo didn't.  So it is quite possible that there is a problem
in the regulator causing that and only a partial charge, the voltage tests
should help determine that.  In addition check the voltage on an 'always on'
wire at idle with minimal electrical load, and with the headlights and
heater fan on.  I'd expect both to be below 12.5v.

But if it starts fine a couple of hours after a run i.e. when cold, but not
if left overnight, that does imply the charge is leaking away, either
through a drain or a faulty battery.  If you disconnect the battery ground
strap overnight that will tell you which - if it still won't start it's the
battery, if it starts there is a drain.

PaulH.