Re: [Mgs] Cooling issue

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Cooling issue
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:21:36 -0700
on 6/21/07 11:13 AM, DON SCOTT at rowdon@sonoma-county.org wrote:

> What does one of those thermometers cost?  Wish I had one years ago when
> I was more involved with overheating Britcars!  My Miata and Civic Si
> temp gauge just go to N and stay there regardless of the ambient temp or
> the grade of the road or movement of the car.  Maybe the gauges on
> Japanese cars are inaccurate and are designed to make the driver think
> everything's ok?

Not so much "inaccurate" as "severely damped" -- they are not analog
real-time gauges, but are under control of the ECU.

For example, my wife's Geo Metro has a temp gauge that scarcely ever moves
off "cold" (this seems unlikely for an inline 3 with a heritage of
overheating problems and a plastic radiator the size of a sheet of
letterhead). Dealer diagnostics traced it to the computer, which also tends
to display the "check engine" warning at random. Their response was "Live
with it -- it's not worth replacing the ECU".

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149