Re: [Mgs] Electric Fans

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Electric Fans
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:28:04 -0500
<<<snip>>>

I've had a TD loose a blade out in nowhere Montana. Cruising along
nicely at about 60 MPH when "Bang" and then terrible vibration. Quick
shut down. Pop the bonnet, but nothing was initially visible. Start up
and vibration. Then my brother spotted only three fan blades. The
broken one had hit the frame going out the bottom. We removed the
other half of the offending blade and continued. The car is still
running with only on blade.

Blake

<<<snip>>>
Max,
   It is hard to imagine one failing, but it's worthwhile to inspect the
fans from time to time.
  Fans on the TCs and TDs are two narrow pieces of flat metal that cross
at the hub. Made as thick or thicker than millions of American fans,
each
has a small reinforcing pad.  Yet, surprisingly, the blades have been
known to break.
   I've been in an MG when a sparkplug blew out and dented the bonnet.
Have not experienced a broken fan blade, but imagine it's at least as
exciting.
Bob