Re: [Mgs] crossed drilled brake rotors

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] crossed drilled brake rotors
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:15:04 -0700
I can't speak for my MGB, but on my other car (which weighs 3400 lbs), I
recently fitted cross-drilled, slotted, vented rotors, replacing the OEM
vented rotors, which were seriously warped (and notorious for doing so). I
then had the opportunity to do some vigorous driving on mountain roads,
including downgrades of 9% and more. One on of these, due to catching up to
slower traffic entering a series of hairpins, I managed to completely fade
the brakes, so that it took several hundred feet to stop on a gravel turnout
with the hand brake full on. After sitting and cooling for 15 minutes, I was
able to continue. The rotors did not warp or show any other sign of damage.
I attribute the fading to the fact I was using OEM organic brake pads rather
than anything more aggressive, and that this car has a non-lockup automatic
transmission.

I suspect that cracking issues arise when people cross-drill their own
rotors without proper stress relief.

--
Max