Re: [Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts

To: <mgs@bonacker.us>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:02:38 -0000
If you have a slim spanner (or grind one down) you should be able to undo
the nut turning the spanner over for each half-flat.  One it is loose you
can remove the bolts securing the mount to the engine front plate and spin
the mount out of the nut.  Replacement is the reverse of removal,
wedge/stick the nut and washers to the spanner, carefully insert the mount
and turn it to engage the threads, spin it most of the way in, attach to the
engine front plate, and tighten the chassis mount nut using the 'half a flat
at a time' technique.  I'd much prefer that to disturbing the rack.

If the boots are knackered unscrew the track-rod ends counting the turns.
If you leave the track-rod-ends attached and unscrew the track rods from the
ends, then mark the 'front' of each track-rod before you start.  The rack
should contain gear oil, so be ready for this when you disconnect the big
end of the gaiters.  With the new gaiters fitted inject 1/3rd Imperial pint,
0.4 US pint, 0.2 litre of gear oil.  There are two ways of doing this - one
is to remove the damper cover plate and damper and inject it slowly in
there, the other is to inject it into the top of one of the big ends of the
gaiter.  In both cases do it slowly and turn the rack slowly from lock to
lock to distribute the oil.

PaulH.