Re: [Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts
From: <mgs@bonacker.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:07:40 GMT
> If you have a slim spanner (or grind one down) you should be able to

undo the nut turning the spanner over for each half-flat. One it is
> loose
you can remove the bolts securing the mount to the engine front
> plate and
spin the mount out of the nut. Replacement is the reverse
> of removal,
wedge/stick the nut and washers to the spanner, carefully
> insert the
mount
and turn it to engage the threads, spin it most of
> the way in, attach to
the engine front plate, and tighten the chassis
> mount nut using the 'half
a flat at a time' technique.

Paul -

With regards to the spinning -
there is a 'dimple' of sorts pressed into the mount metal that ends up being
opposite of the stud that attaches to the car frame. The hole in the dimple
made me think that it was attached to the engine with a bolt. It sounds now
like there may be a lug or a catch of some kind that will lift out when the
engine is raised. In that case the only two fastenings for each mount are to
the engine front plate.

> I'd much prefer that to disturbing the rack.
I think I'll respect your advice and leave the rack to another time. I did
find some useful information on steering racks though, which reinforces the
suggestion that this is a task to be left to itself so it can be done
thoroughly -

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/a_rack/
http://www.mgexperience.net/article/mgoc-basic-3.html
http://www.mgexperience.net/article/steering-rack-service.html
http://www.mgexperience.net/article/front-suspension.html
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgoc&p=emg/steer.htm
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/sr101.htm
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgbr/techtips.htm

And there is bound to be
more, and I am always interested in hearing about it.

Scott
'65B with
potential, '77B driver and a '73 donor