Re: [Mgs] spark plug 2 and 3 has black sooth

To: <1971mgb@cox.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] spark plug 2 and 3 has black sooth
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:30:58 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: <1971mgb@cox.net>
To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 1:08 PM
Subject: [Mgs] spark plug 2 and 3 has black sooth

ok folks I'm still messing around with my HS4 carbs., I've adjusted the
carbs to where I'm almost contend with the mixture, however my issue is that
not all my spark plugs have that nice grayish color to them, if I'm looking
at number 1 spark plug (nearest the radiator) and count toward the rear of
the engine then number 4 would be near the heater box, having said that
number one spark plug then is a nice gray and number 4 near the heater box
is nice and gray that leaves number 2 and number 3 having black sooth on the
them (bottom of spark plug). Do I need to lean out the carb nearest the
front (near radiator) or the rear carb. nearsest the heater box?

Thank you all for your input.

I wouldn't lean out either carb.  They, obviously, are tuned correctly for
the other cylinders they are feeding.  You don't want to lean them out too
much and burn them up.

Did you do a compression check on the cylinders?  Look, also, to the
ignition on those two cylinders.  Pull the plugs out and hold them 1/4 inch
from the head.  Do you get a strong spark?  If not, work back from there.

Larry Daniels