Re: [Mgs] Cup Holder?

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Cup Holder?
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 22:39:54 +0930
On 01/05/2008, at 1:57 PM, Murray Arundell wrote:

> What is it with all you Yanks?  Why don't you simply drink your dam
> coffee
> in the kitchen or cafi?  I can never understand why one race of people
> decided to turn a machine designed to transport people into some
> kind of
> mobile Starbucks.......... :-)

Although it doesn't really bother me what other people do in their
cars, I have to sort-of, kind-of agree with Murray (yeah, we Aussies
sometimes stick together :-)

My longest "regular" drive is to the racetrack - which means a 50
minute cruise.  I can last that long without a coffee if I have one
before I leave and one when I get there!

Longer than that, I can sometimes drive interstate for 9 or so hours
- but if I am hanging out for a coffee I will generally pull over at
a roadhouse and revive myself with a fifteen minute break and a
coffee in the restaurant.

Drinking and driving means having one hand off the wheel and your
concentration off the road briefly so I wouldn't recommend that in
traffic.  In fact I had a small altercation with a women in a car in
Sydney one time.  My fault because I changed lanes into her in heavy
traffic (I was watching the fool in front of my who decided to pull
out at the same time) but I did ask her why she didn't beep her horn
when she saw my indicator on and as I started to move over.  It could
have avoided the "scrape" all together.

Her look answered my question - along with the cup of coffee in her
hand and the coffee stain on her blouse!  She didn't have a hand free
to honk the horn!

But as has also been mentioned - if I am thirsty I may hold a bottle
of water between my legs (cold water is great on a warm day :-) or I
might have a bottle wedged between the tunnel and the passenger seat
that I can grab for a quick drink if I am dehydrating in 100+ degree
heat.

Cupholders?  Sheesh, next you will be wanting on-board computers and
DVD players!

:-)

I guess the Americans get caught in more traffic jams than us so they
need their coffee.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia