Re: [Mgs] British "Kit Cars" (Was: MG 1100 questions)

To: <david_breneman@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] British "Kit Cars" (Was: MG 1100 questions)
From: "James Nazarian" <james.nazarian@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:15:35 -0400
I think you'll find that in the modern automotive industry that the
'manufacturer' makes very few, if any, parts.  Practically everything is
outsourced to Tier 1 suppliers who then outsource subassemblies to Tier 2
(etc) suppliers.  The auto manufacturer's job is to set a specification that
the supplier(s) must meet and to assemble the relevant parts into a whole
car.  MG may have been buying off the shelf parts, but the modern companies
also do that whenever they can.  There is no better way to develop a part
than to buy one that someone else already amortized.

The bit where the British get themselves in trouble is the seemingly
haphazard nature of parts application.  If memory serves, there were 7
different alternators in the MGB, however you can't tie them to vin numbers.
It seemed that whatever was in stock that month (or year) got used.  In the
modern industry, there could easily be 7 different alternators, but each one
can be tied to a set of vin numbers.  In both cases, odds are that the
company who's badge was on the bonnet didn't make them.

If you look at a GM vehicle, I doubt you'll find a single part made by GM.
GM might own the companies that make the parts, but they don't make parts
themselves.  They make drawings and they assemble cars.  That's it.

James