Re: [Mgs] British "Kit Cars" (Was: MG 1100 questions)

To: "James Nazarian" <james.nazarian@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Mgs] British "Kit Cars" (Was: MG 1100 questions)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:37:11 +0100
That's a different issue.  Outsourced or not they will be manufactured to the
vehicle manufacturers spec, and this could still be unique to one model or
common across several models.  Body assemblies are usually to the vehicle
manufacturers design, mechanical assemblies can be off-the-shelf as in
suspension and steering components, electrical are more likely to be
off-the-shelf, the 'off the shelf' manufacturers supplying to many vehicle
manufacturers e.g. Bosch, Lucas and Delco.  I'm not aware of seven different
alternators for the MGB personally, the changes I am aware of *were* by
chassis number as the outputs were steadily increased to cope with increasing
loads.  Sometimes there were components from different manufacturers at the
same time, but this is good commercial practice as competition keeps prices
down, although it was more applicable to later BL products in my experience
than the MGB.

PaulH.