Re: [Mgs] 2 More Q's

To: d_dibiase@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 2 More Q's
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:25:22 -0400
Dan,
   It's 90w gear oil.  The oil squishes back and forth from boots to
rack.  If the rack is still out of the car, it's easy fill it while you
can stand it on end. Work the rack slowly to distribute the oil as you
fill, else it burps and you can get a facefull of oil.  If it's on the
car by now, you can fill into a boot, but do it slowly and work the rack
back and forth as you do it--easier if you have a helper.
   Moss catalogue does not give those plates a part # but does show them
in place.  Others may know more about the need for them and how they are
used. Unless you learn to the contrary, I would install them as
originally fitted.
Bob

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:44:42 -0700 (PDT) Dan DiBiase
<d_dibiase@yahoo.com> writes:
> 1) What type of oil goes in the steering rack? Not the boots but the
> steering gearbox itself.....
>
> 2) I have 4 plates that are the same diamond shape as the engine
> mount top piece. Are these just shims, to be used
> as needed?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/ddibiase/1976%20MGB%20Engine%20Work
/P7130012.jpg

> Work is going well, otherwise. Just need to wait until my wife gets
> home from shopping to reinstall the rack, as I can't get the
> shaft back into the u-joint in the proper position while using my
> feet to push on the rack bar from below.... It's a tight fit! I'm
> going
> to temporarily put it in with just a couple of bolts, so I can steer
> the car around as I prepare to reinstall the engine. Probably
> won't get to that until next week-end, as I want to go chase a ball
> around a course later this afternoon ;-) Too many hobbies,
> not enough time!
>
>  Dan D
> Central NJ USA
> '76 MGB Tourer - Driver - Engine Surgery In Progress...
> '65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, Still Is....
> NAMGBR #5-2328
> http://dans65b.blogspot.com/
> http://dansautoblog.blogspot.com/
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dibiase/Working_MG_Gallery.html
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

Click to find deals on GPS Systems, don't get lost.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nQ3nuK81vJ0zpMmruTvA1KIzcmLV9ZaByjcPGLnSiRzMJdr/