Re: [Mgs] Locking gas cap for 79 MGB

To: battanhr@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Locking gas cap for 79 MGB
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:10:12 -0400
Howard,
   The OEM cap for your car is non-vented, the venting being accomplished
by one of the lines that runs from the tank to the fuel separator in the
rear fender on to the adsorbtion cannister at the firewall.   As this
plumbing does not adversely affect engine operation, most leave it in
place when removing the engine's de-smog bits.
   If the vent line has been closed, your tank would be venting through
the cap now.  If vent line is open, a non-vented cap allows the cannister
to collect vapors evaporating from the gasoline in the tank.
   I suspect that the MGB's cap is not unique to the MGB, but that the
market is so small that it may not be listed for MGs in a catalogue.  I
bought one years and years ago, lost it and did not replace it; they were
available at one time.  You might take the cap you have and compare to
inventory at the auto parts store.
   If you can't find a locking cap, you could rig up a screen of some
sort inside the filler neck, something that would stop entry of a syphon
hose but that would allow fuel to pass easily, something like 1/4"
hardware cloth.
   Around here, I'm not aware of gasoline syphoning taking place, but
have heard on the news of large diesel tanks being punched through at the
bottom if they had locking caps.
Bob

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:39:37 -0700 "Howard Battan" <battanhr@comcast.net>
writes:
> I've been looking for a locking gas cap for my '79 B, with no luck
Click to get a free auto insurance quotes from top companies.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3m2nssk5VNLUG0hucMuIuowK14skn0Do9lUYUAeRdnjuHlSN/