Re: [Mgs] Moving Along....

To: Stuart MacMillan <macgroup@comcast.net>, mg-mgb@yahoogroups.com, MG
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Moving Along....
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 18:58:21 -0700 (PDT)
Well, good news and bad news tonight. I finished hooking up everything -
throttle cable, the radiator and the various hoses
and wires. Decided to see if it would start, while up on the jackstands. Still
need to bleed the brakes so didn't want to be
tempted to jump in and go around the block if it started....  ;-)

I needn't have worried - I hooked up the battery and hooked it to the family
van. Soon as I did that I noticed that the parking
lights are all on - so something is crossed somewhere. Turned the key and the
fuel pump started clicking away! Took about
3 minutes of solid clicking to fill the fuel filter - and then another minute
for me to notice the growing puddle of gas on the floor!
The carb is leaking from the float chamber plug, which is irritating because I
had the same issue 2 years ago and replaced the
gasket. Guess it dried out again. I also have a seep from the fuel line where
it comes up the bulkhead next to the pedal box.

So I guess I am going to remove the carb and have it rebuilt. I have vacation
coming up so I won't be doing anything on the car
for a while anyways.

I'm happy to be at this point (I guess about 98.763%, Stuart!) but kinda bummed
that I could not get it going yet.

 Dan D
Central NJ USA
'76 MGB Tourer