Re: [Mgs] MG TF is USA

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG TF is USA
From: "Richard Gosling" <rbgosling@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:42:51 +0100
That's fair enough - there are plenty of varying opinions about on this
subject, and you are far from alone!

What if Rolex watches were designed in Switzerland, by Swiss engineers.
They have a number of components manufactured by subcontractors around the
world, including China.  Those parts are then shipped to Switzerland for
final assembly.  Would that still be a Swiss watch?  I'm not saying that's
happening with Rolex (frankly I have no idea, probably not in their case),
but that's the case for all sorts of consumer goods around the world.  The
MG TF on sale here next month is a car originally designed in Britain, and
will be assembled in Britain, but from mostly Chinese-manufactured
components.

We've long ago been forced to give up caring who owns our major companies,
as very few British companies are still British-owned.  Supermarkets and
some other chain stores, and some of the oil companies, are the only ones
that spring to mind right now.  The biggest British-owned car maker left is
LTI, who make "London" taxis...

Richard & Sammy