Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?

To: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>,MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 00:44:59 -0600
At 10:03 PM 3/7/2009 -0800, Simon Matthews wrote:
>On investigating why my MGA heater was not functioning, I discovered
>that the heater control valve was completely full of scale. I do
>mean completely.
>
>This made me wonder what the rest of the cooling system might be
>like. Does anyone have any recommendations? Don't worry about it?
>Flush with something? If so, what?

Drain and change coolant, filing with fresh 50/50 glycol and water
solution every two years, regardless of mileage.  Same applies to
flushing hydraulic fluid every two years.  If your cooling system and
heater core might already be partially clogged due to past neglect of
the fluid, you may be just out of luck and have to live with
it.  Chemical cleaners may or may not help.  Mechanical cleaning can
be expensive.

I had a heater valve clog up a few years ago in spite of bi-annual
fluid change. That heater valve may have been 12 to 15 years old with
over 150,000 miles on it.  New valve installed, and the heater still
works.  I had my cooling radiator recored last year, after about 18
years and close to 200,000 miles.  It was still working, buy possibly
at slightly diminished capacity.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com