Re: [Mgs] batteries and starting

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] batteries and starting
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 09:18:59 +0100
Nothing wrong with twin 6v, I've been running them for 20 years after
converting back from the POs puny 12v.  Still on my second set.  Presumably
you clamped the jump leads onto the connectors?  So that still leaves the
connection between the post and the connector as a possible source of bad
connections.  If the batteries have been standing 2 or 3 months without being
recharged then I'm not surprised they are struggling now.  After recharging
you can check the individual batteries by putting a meter across the *posts*
(not the connectors) first of one then the other while cranking.  Ideally they
will both be about the same voltage, typically about 5v for good batteries.
You have to check them under load, off-load you will only see a much of a
difference if one is really bad.  If one is significantly down on the other
during cranking it is obviously in a worse state than the other, but you would
always change both together anyway unless one was an infant mortality.

PaulH.