Re: [Mgs] Replacing Brake pads on an MGA

To: Robert J. Guinness <guinness@stclegal.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Replacing Brake pads on an MGA
From: Patrick Harris <1962mga1600mkii@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:17:40 -0400
Remove some of the fluid from the reservoir otherwise pressing the
pistons back into the caliper will force extra fluid into the
reservoir resulting in overflow.

Remove the pads.

Take a 12 in Crescent wrench.

Open the jaws of the crescent wrench just a little.

Stick the HANDLE of the Crescent wrench between the disk and the
piston (in the caliper); contact should be at the center of the piston.

Put a screwdriver blade or the handle of another wrench into the jaws
of the 1st wrench.

Twist the screwdriver, causing the handle of the Crescent wrench to
rotate against both the disk and the piston.  Slow and steady and the
piston will retreat.

When released the piston should move out of the caliper just a
"smidgen" but still leave enough room to put a pad in.

Under no circumstance should the brake pedal be depressed when the
pads are not in the caliper; that would cause at least one of the
pistons to be pushed out of the caliper.

Good luck,
Pat