Re: [Mgs] MGB engine stand hookup

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB engine stand hookup
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:16:21 -0500
I wouldn't worry so much about Harbor Freight unless you have a serious
stand against buying Chinese. I would suggest that most of us have
bought something there within the past year or two. Only last Sunday I
was in there looking for a slide hammer (on a Sunday?!), only to work
out a better solution to removing a half axle on a Salisbury rear end.
They didn't have a slide hammer with the *exact* adapters I needed, but
they had a fairly nice three pounder that I will probably go back for
when my stimulus check clears.

As a theater rigger I won't buy professional tools there, but the 1/2T
chain hoist I bought from them for peanuts has lifted any number of
sometimes very expensive engines and other heavy things quite well. My
rule of thumb for HF is; if it has to lift something rate it for the
stated load - there's no built in design factor and you can't sue China.
If it's a consumable and can't hurt you by flying apart at speed
(cutting wheels for an angle grinder, etc.) buy it. Think of the
starving Chinese proletariats. When I put the redcar under the knife I
bought an excellent discontinued Hobart 135 MIG buzz box with all the
whistles from them with a full 5 year warranty through Hobart. Delivered
to my door for about half the cost of the 145 replacement unit. I'm okay
with that.

Glenn

--
Be careful when you deal with old hippies. They can be real touchy.

        - Ferris Bueller