Re: [Mgs] Replacing clutch flex line

To: "Craig Straub" <craigstraub@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Replacing clutch flex line
From: "riverside" <riverside@southslope.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:13:27 -0600
Hi Craig,
    For ease of access to the clutch hose body mounting, disconnect the
battery and remove the starter.  This gives you some wrench room.
Disconnect the steel line from the hose. Remove the large nut and internal
lock washer from the hose mounting. This is easiest if you have a short
wrench . You will have to hold the hose fitting so the hose does not turn.
Remove  hose from slave cyl..
    With the slave cylinder mounted, install the new hose to the cylinder.
Don't forget the new copper sealing washer. Tighten  firmly. Allowing the
hose to bend naturally isert it into the body mounting  and install the lock
waser and  nut. Do not tighten, but leave some "wiggle room" to move the
fitting  for alignment when starting the line fitting.  Holding the hose
with a wrench, first tighten the mounting nut then the line fitting. Do not
allow the hose to twist as twisting could shorten its life.
    Don't try to save the old fluid. Flush with fresh fliud to remove
contaminants and moisture from the system. Clutch and brake fluids should be
changed every one to two years to prevent problems.
    After bleeding  have some one push the pedal while you check the travel
of the clutch cylinder pushrod. A good system will have 1/2 " to 5/8 " of
movement of the pushrod at the  pin. Cussing is allowed on this job.
Ron Sanborn