Re: [Mgs] New Wiring Harness

To: "Douglas Gaither" <dbg.lists@gmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] New Wiring Harness
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:53:48 +0100
Quite probably a short on the red wires, as they weren't fused until 67.
You need to find and fix the source of the short otherwise a new harness
could go the same way.  The usual cause is metal boxes or tools rattling
around in there, often damaging the wires at the back of the lights (not
part of the harness).  The rear harness is a bigger job than the main
harness in my experience as there are so many clips and fastenings.  A short
that far back can also burn the main harness, but if the damage is only
localised I'd be inclined to repair rather than replace, a full harness
replacement is a big job.  What I *would* do is insert inline fuses in the
red wire where the rear harness joins the main harness by the fusebox, and
also in the white wire feeding the pump.  Both my cars and two I have worked
on have had shorts in the pump that has damaged both harnesses.

As far as the wiper motor is concerned things are very confused around 66
and 67, and the roadster is different to the GT.  There seem to be at least
three if not four motors, switches and wiring arrangements about that time
while it was changing from square single-speed to round two-speed, you need
to be sure what you have before you can plan for an upgrade.

PaulH.